Many unknown bands and musicians are so thankful to have the chance at a recording contract that they sign whatever is handed to them without ever speaking to an attorney. I can tell you that this practice frequently leads to problems.
- to advise and educate you as to your rights
- to explain the obligations and duties of the record label
- to ensure that you are being fairly compensated, and perhaps negotiate a better deal
- to ensure that you are not improperly giving away the rights to your music
The results are never good when a contract does not work out as planned and numerous problems can occur:
- pressures on the band may force you to quit
- lost income from improperly negotiated royalties
- tens of thousands of dollars spent in litigation either trying to get out of the contract or forcing the record label to comply with its obligations
It is much better to make a small investment in yourself and hire a lawyer before singing a contract rather than deal with the problems associated with the contracts failure. You work very hard every day in hopes of making it big – don’t let a contractual mistake end those dreams.
My office is experienced in handling recording contracts on behalf of both musicians and record labels. I strongly recommend that you contact my office to review any recording contract before you sign. Call my office today for a free consultation.