Motorcycle accidents are almost always serious and it is imperative that you hire an experienced Rhode Island motorcycle accident attorney. In fact, approximately 3,000 cyclists are killed each year across the country. There are numerous factors that contribute to the high rate of motorcycle accidents. First and foremost, drivers of cars are unaccustomed to looking for motorcycles or bicyclists. Often while looking for other vehicles to avoid, a driver's eye can miss a motorcycle or bike. Unfortunately, a relatively minor car accident can result in a fatal motorcycle accident.
The Department of Transportation commissioned a study of cause factors in motorcycle accidents. Among the findings:
- In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of way and caused the accident in 2/3 of these accidents;
- The failure of motor vehicle drivers to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the primary cause of motorcycle accidents;
- The typical motorcycle accidents allows the motorcycle rider 2 seconds of reaction time to take evasive action;
- The view of the motorcycle, or other vehicle, is limited by glare or other object in almost half of all motorcycle accidents.
In addition the study highlighted the potential for injury:
- The likelihood of injury for a motorcycle rider in an accident with a single vehicle is 96% and 45% resulted in serious injury;
- The most severe injuries occur to the chest and head;
- Fuel system leaks and spills were present in 62% of motorcycle accidents presenting an increased risk of fire and burns.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident you are entitled to damages. You are entitled to: current and future medical bills; lost wages, and future loss of earning capacity; damages for scarring or road rash; damages for permanent injuries; and, pain and suffering.
When the injury is serious it is very important that you hire the right attorney. You must hire an attorney who has experience with serious or catastrophic injuries, who understands the complexities of a motorcycle accident case, and who is willing to take the case to trial, if necessary to obtain all the money to which you are entitled. My office is the only choice for a Rhode Island motorcycle accident.
I am an avid bicyclist myself and know the unique hazards that motorcycle and bicycle riders face. It is always on us to drive defensively while the rest of the world is inattentive. If you have been injured while riding a motorcycle, it is important to call an attorney who understands the unique challenges that riders face. Call our office today for a free consultation.